This has gone back and forth. Back and forth. Floyd said this. Connor called him out for that. Even Dana White got involved putting the ball back in Mayweather’s corner. Well guys, we might actually have the Megafight we have been waiting for!
SportsCenter is throwing around the world Offical:
According to ESPN: The Nevada State Athletic Commission has approved an August 26 fight date for Mayweather Promotions for an event expected to be held at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
AND SO IS FLOYD!
A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on Jun 14, 2017 at 2:30pm PDT
Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Bob Bennett confirmed the approval to FOX Sports on Wednesday.
The date is significant because rumors have been swirling that Floyd Mayweather has requested Aug. 26 for his potential showdown with UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor. Showtime, who aired Mayweather’s final few fights, is listed as the network set to broadcast the event.
“I got a call [Tuesday] night from Mayweather Promotions that they wanted to be put back on the agenda, so I put them back on the agenda,” Bob Bennett, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, told ESPN’s Dan Rafael. “They pulled the request but then decided to put it back on.”
According to multiple sources, Mayweather Promotions secured the date for a potential boxing match between Floyd Mayweather, the former pound-for-pound king, and UFC star Conor McGregor. The two sides have not announced a finalized deal, however, and Mayweather Promotions’ request was for an unspecified event.
McGregor and UFC president Dana White have previously announced they’ve come to terms on their side of what would be a blockbuster summer event. The UFC is owned by entertainment agency WME-IMG. Earlier this month, the Los Angeles Times reported negotiations were underway between the entertainment powerhouse and Al Haymon, Mayweather’s longtime adviser.
The MGM Grand Garden Arena served as home to Mayweather’s record-breaking fight against Manny Pacquiao, which generated over $72 million in live gate.
Of course, the reservation for August still doesn’t necessarily confirm that Mayweather is planning on facing McGregor on that date. Mayweather Promotions puts on events in numerous locations that have nothing to do with Mayweather’s return to the ring after retiring in 2015.
Still, numerous sources have indicated that Mayweather vs. McGregor is being targeted for Aug. 26 assuming all sides can come to an agreement to make the fight official.